Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Of Friends and Fans


You would have thought that I am a hardcore fan to be able to head to Old Trafford, but you can find hardcore fans everywhere around here. I met a couple of drain-silt removers on my way towards a War Museum near Old Trafford. The guy on the right claims that he had watch Manchester United since he was 11, and for 54 years since then already!

He remembered the Munich Tragedy on the papers as a young boy and swore that Duncan Edwards, the best Manchester United Player ever in his opinion, once hit a penalty so hard that it tore the net! The guy on the left, reveals his Mancunian pride in a much simpler manner. Finding out that a young Singaporean had travelled half a globe just to watch Manchester in action, a really wide grin appears across his face.



At the end of the day though, while Old Trafford is definitely awesome and the passionate atmosphere stunning, I found out more about myself about the real reason why I love football as a sports. It is the company!

Seriously, watching football is not as enjoyable without your friends around you. As for playing football, well, it had been a glue that gel-ed my best bunch of friends together for so long. Before you think I am already starting to miss home, don't worry about me guys...



The bunch of Singhs you always saw on TV accompanied me on this part of my journey.

1 comment:

Shuaiji said...

Siong, you're one lucky boy living out everyone's dream.

-envious-